Total Pageviews for this Blog

Slideshow of Blog Pictures

St. Petersburg Pictures

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Teaching Financial Risk Management (click here for the full story)

My colleague Pia asked me to teach Financial Risk Management and I learned the similarities to Risk Control.


So Pia asked me to talk about Financial Risk Management.  I told her that it really is only loosely related to Risk Control.  She said for me to give it a go anyhow.

After an afternoon of using Wikipedia to figure out the similarities and differences, I taught the class the following:
  1. Traditional Risk Control Techniques - these are the same things I would teach grad students in Process Hazard Management at Stout (but in only an hour, not a semester)
  2. How is Risk Control different from Financial Risk Management - it turns out they are quite similar, except for the tools involved.  Another big difference is that Risk in finances is not necessarily negative. Sometimes taking a risk in business can pay off.
  3. Case study - we talked about what brought about the financial meltdown in America.  Specifically how did homeowners, local banks and investment banks all contribute to the worldwide crisis.
  4. Discussion - our discussion focused on what are the risks and controls that would be appropriate for the various parties of our case study.
All in all, this worked pretty well.  I was honest with the students that I wasn't a finance person, but I believe they got something good out of it anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment