Total Pageviews for this Blog

Slideshow of Blog Pictures

St. Petersburg Pictures

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Teaching Emergency Preparedness (click here for more...)

Yesterday 16 November, I gave a lecture about the Incident Command System (ICS) to Anasse's Emergency Preparedness class.

Here I am explaining the rudiments of ICS.  I got this jacket for 16 euros at a second hand store in Stockholm and it is one of my favorite jackets now.  (currently is a tie for first with the tweed jacket I got from Goodwill over 15 years ago.)



Here are some of the students in the audience.  I was very happy to have several students from the TAMK IB program that I knew already.  I asked a lot of questions in class and tried to pick on everyone, but it was good to have several students whose names I already knew.  The pictures of me were taken by Laura (closest to camera).  In addition to this class, Laura and Iina did their Advanced Topics paper about Building Security at a building in the area.  Niina in the middle went recently to NYC and apparently did a lot of shopping.

The class is starting to fill up.  About 15 minutes after I started, the class size was double this.  A lot of the students came from the Tampere University of Technology (TUT).

Anasse Bouhlal, my TAMK colleague introducing me.

I try to get around the room when I talk.
This talk had 3 parts:
  1. History of why ICS is so important centered around what happened at the World Trade Center and Katrina responses.
  2. Overview of the ICS.
  3. 'Tabletop' exercise about an anhydrous ammonia leak at a major brewery in Chippewa Falls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment